(Photo by Debra Greenblat/Catholic San Francisco)
Archbishop Cordileone serves Communion during Mass at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church March 11.
Archbishop visits Our Lady of Perpetual Help
March 16th, 2015
By Catholic San Francisco
Archbishop Salvatore J. Cordileone was the main celebrant at a Mass March 11 marking the 90th anniversary of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish in Daly City – a Catholic community born in 1925 as St. Maximus Church and reborn four years later when Rome granted parishioners’ petition to rename their church in honor of the Blessed Mother.
The church, which serves 700 families and 200 students at the parish K-8 school, was filled for the weekday celebration. The archbishop paused at the Our Lady of Perpetual Help icon in the church before the recessional and greeted parishioners after Mass.
The liturgy was followed by a motorcade around the parish boundaries and a free lunch in the school hall, said Pastor Augusto Villote, who is in his fourth year at Our Lady of Perpetual Help and was ordained to the priesthood in the archdiocese in 2003.
Daly City Councilman David Canepa read and delivered a proclamation for the church on behalf of the mayor and members of the City Council.
Anniversary events will continue throughout the year, including a Festival of Flowers in May; family sports festival in June; International Fair in August; and a vocation campaign in October with representatives of religious communities speaking during homilies at Sunday Masses during the month.
Parishioners will sojourn to Italy in November on a “Retracing Our Roots Pilgrimage,” starting at the St. Maximus Shrine in Turin and concluding at the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Shrine in Rome.
The anniversary year winds up with a dinner dance honoring parishioners on Dec. 4 and Mass on Sunday Dec. 8, the Feast of Immaculate Conception, at 6:30 p.m., with Archbishop Rolando Tirona of the Archdiocese of Caceres (Nueva Caceres), Philippines.
The parish celebrates six English Masses and one Spanish Mass weekly.